Get Started in Exporting
The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service provides A Step-by-Step Guide to Exporting for companies new to selling overseas. It is available as a complimentary download.
NMMA produces free educational webinars that cover important international trade topics.Webinars are archived online and are always accessible to you as a members.
Inbound Buying Delegations
The Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show seeks to attract more foreign buyers to the show. Currently, nearly 25% of visitors are international. NMMA is working to channel those buyers into a formalized program to ensure we connect them with our members. Click here to learn more.
NMMA’s negotiating power enables us to secure the most desirable locations at key boat shows worldwide. We also eliminate the hassle, offering cost-effective turnkey booths that allow exhibitors to explore new markets, seek distribution partners and build brand awareness. Favorable pricing and space priority are offered to NMMA members. Additionally, a number of state-based trade development organizations offer grant support for international shows.
Increase your chances of export success with market research. The following are resources you can use to collect essential global marketing data.
- ICOMIA (International Council of Marine Industry Association) maintains a library of valuable information and data on the global recreational marine industry. As an NMMA member, you have free access to this data. Please contact Bryan Welsh to receive an access code for the library.
- NMMA’s Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract: As a member, you can reference this document which includes an overview of the export markets for boats and engines for free.
- NEW—ICOMIA Distributors' Guide: This reference was developed to assist marine industry businesses develop and implement an international distributor’s network.
- U.S. Department of Commerce can create a customized market-specific report to support your specific entry goals. This service is fee-based.
- IBIPlus has helped many companies grow their export business. As an NMMA member, you benefit from discounted pricing to access this data. Check back for details.
- The Pleasure Boat Resource Guide - 2nd edition: The U.S. Department of Commerce has compiled a valuable Pleasure Boat International Resource Guide with more than 30 market reports for countries including China, Mexico, Egypt and Nigeria, sponsored by the NMMA. To obtain your complimentary copy, please contact the NMMA.
Our dedicated team of government relations professionals help NMMA members resolve unfair trade barriers by working closely with the federal government.
Don’t let international payment risks or lack of working capital prevent you from developing or expanding your export activities.Canadian companies have benefited from a number of trade grants offered to NMMA Canada through the Department of International Trade Global Opportunities for Associations Program. Members have been on over ten trade missions to a variety of international shows including: Shanghai, Dubai, Sanctuary Cove, Phuket, Istanbul, IBEX, Sydney and METS.
Export Finance Programs
CanExport, is a new program that will provide $50 million to help Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises take advantage of global export opportunities.
The program one of the building blocks of the government’s export strategy: it will help Canadian companies take advantage of opportunities abroad and increase their competitiveness, while creating jobs and growth at home.
CanExport will provide Canadian small businesses with matching contributions of between $10,000 and $100,000 toward export development costs. The new program will benefit hundreds of companies each year over the next five years
For more information click here.
Exportaccess.ca provides access to two Ontario Chamber of Commerce Global Growth Fund Programs. These programs are the Ontario Exporters Fund & Export Market Access:
1)Ontario Exporters Fund is a grant program designed to assist Ontario businesses gain/increase access to international export markets. The program has been established by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce with support and funding from the Ontario government to assist small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to become export ready and help them gain/increase access to international export markets.
• With a minimum of five to a maximum of 500 employees
• Have between $3 million and $20 million in sales and have export sales between 10% to 50% of annual sales
• Registered company (federally or provincially) for a minimum of two years
• In one of the priority sectors of the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
For a full list of eligibility requirements visit here: http://www.ontarioexporters.ca/who-is-eligible/
Hiring an Export Manager
Funding will cover 50% of eligible costs associated with hiring an experienced Export Manager. The maximum grant amount for this activity is $80,000.
To receive support to hire an Export Manager, companies must:
• Have total annual sales between $3 million and $20 million
• Have exports sales ranging from 10% to 50% of total annual sales
For more information please visit: http://www.ontarioexporters.ca/faq/
2) Export Market Access (EMA) is a grant program designed to assist Ontario businesses to:
• Showcase goods or services to potential international buyers;
• Participate in outgoing or incoming trade missions;
• Develop promotional materials; and
• Support many other expenses required to develop export sales.
1. A small to medium sized company with an export mandate, whose goods and services currently exist and are produced in Ontario
2. Businesses with a minimum of 5 employees to a maximum of 500 employees or partnerships/consortium of small to medium sized exporters meeting the following criteria:
• Annual sales of $500,000 or more
• Currently established and operating in Ontario
• Registered company (federally or provincially) for minimum of two years
• In full compliance with all government laws and regulations
• Not receiving any other contributions from public funds towards the activities contained in the funding application other than support provided through export development programs offered by the International Trade Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
For more information please visit: http://exportaccess.ca/en/home
Options for shipping products overseas include:
- International freight forwarders
- Shippers’ Associations
- Express delivery or mail services
- Arranging their own shipping